Can I Swim In My Pool After Shocking It?
What if you came home to your pool growing algae after a long days work, and all you wanted to do was go for a nice swim. So, you go to your pool house and get your testing equipment and discover you should treat your pool with a dose of chlorine. But how long after shocking your pool can you enjoy that swim you were longing for?
Typically, they say the rule is 24 hours, but in other scenarios you may be able to swim sooner. Let’s talk about the safety recommendations.
What Does It Mean To Shock The Pool
When you shock your pool, you’re boosting your free chlorine levels which in turn destroys bacteria and algae. This is just a process of adding chemicals that allow chlorine to work as it should.
A safe range for the pH level is 7.2 – 7.8 and for chlorine between 1.0 – 4.0 ppm, according to the center for disease control. So, if your testing kit results within the safe range sooner that the 24 hour mark, you are safe to take that desired swim.
You want to stay up on maintenance for your pool and always check your waters pH and chlorine output.
If you feel like you’re consistently spending time treating your pool, you might want to consider having a pool inspection by a professional. There may be an underlying issue with your equipment that’s causing your pool to be chemically imbalanced. Make sure to regularly check your pool filter and other safety features to ensure they’re in good condition.
Regardless, don’t swim in a green pool. Make sure it’s well treated and within that pH level and chlorine level to stay safe.